Growing Caraway Herb Seed
- Days to Maturity: Biennial
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Planting Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 8-12”
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warm
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Color: Green
- Flavor: Anise-like, earthy and peppery
- Availability: Buy Caraway Herb Seed
Sowing and Growing
Caraway prefers sunny temperate climates and well drained moderately moist soil. Caraway may be direct sown in either Spring or Autumn in prepared soil or started inside in peat pots to prevent transplant shock. Mulch plants in the winter if the soil freezes in your area. Expect germination in 4-14 days.
Harvest leaves when young in the first year of growth for use in salads and soups. Harvest seed heads about a month after blossoming in the second year. Shake the heads into a paper bag, separate the debris and store in a jar in a cool, dark location The roots may also be dug the second year and used as a root vegetable.
Additional Information on Caraway Herb
- Caraway Wikipedia Page
- Read the Best Practices for Planning Your Herb Garden!
- Learn About Hardiness Zones
Explore these Caraway Herb Seed Varieties: