Pie! What a wonderful thing. Pie is one of my favorite desserts. I often opt for pie instead of cake on my birthday I love it so much. Part of the reason it ranks so high on my favorites list is that I grew up with a grandmother known for her famous pie nights and spread for family Holiday get-togethers. Once or twice a year, she would team up with her friend to hold a pie night for the entire neighborhood. Family, friends, and neighbors would come together for a good time.
My grandma wasn’t the only one with a good pie recipe up her sleeve. Within the family, my grandpa was known for his delicious oatmeal pie. Oatmeal? You might question how great an oatmeal pie could actually be. Well, pretty great actually. If you enjoy the taste of a good pecan pie, chances are you will love this creation too.
If you or a family member are allergic to nuts, this can be a great alternative to pecan pie at any Holiday gathering. Enjoy the caramel-like flavoring, gooey texture, and delightful smell this oatmeal pie has to offer.
Oatmeal Pie Cooking Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Step 1: Prepare a pie crust and leave unbaked until filling is prepared.
- Step 2: Mix together eggs, butter, brown sugar, dark corn syrup, oatmeal, salt, and vanilla.
- Step 3: Pour filling into pie shell (unbaked)
- Step 4: Bake for 1 hour
- Step 5: Allow to cool to the touch, top with whipped cream.