Miso soup is absolutely delicious and a nutritious healthy comfort food that is often served with sushi. Really it can be eaten at any time of the day!
Miso Soup Ingredients:
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup bonito flakes (or alternately fish stock or vegetable or chicken stock with a few drops of fish sauce stirred in)
- ¼ cup miso (soybean paste)
- 6 oz soft tofu, cut into little cubes
- ½ cup dried wakame (soak in water 10 minutes before adding to recipe)
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Make your dashi broth by bringing water to boil then simmer at medium-low and add bonito flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the flakes sink to the bottom of the pan. Strain the flakes from the broth.
- In a separate bowl, add the miso paste along with ½ cup of the dashi broth. Whisk together until smooth then add back to the pan with the rest of the broth.
- Add the tofu, wakame, and green onions to the broth and stir gently to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high. Continue cooking until soup reaches a simmer, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Garnish with extra green onions (optional).